Monday, May 14, 2007

All About Eve


From what I remember, some of you watched All about Eve for a class when we were in college. I just saw it and really enjoyed it. I liked all three female leads (and Marilyn's bit part) and thought that Anne Baxter (Eve) played the conniving ingenue in a perfectly creepy way. I even thought there were some interesting and forward thinking ideas about gender in it, but then I got to the scene where Bette Davis starts talking about what it means to be a woman (i.e. having a man) and I was reminded that it was made in 1950. I especially enjoyed the scenes in New Haven, the place where "shows have 'out of town' openings for New Yorkers who don't really want to get out of town". I am starting to understand the Bette Davis cult following: I loved how brash, ambitious, and stylish she was. What do you remember from the movie?

No comments: