Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Sometimes I Judge Books by Their Covers...

...and sometimes I get rewarded!

This book was rightfully displayed on top of the New Fiction shelf at my local library and I had to pick it up. You can see why:
(1) It's red!

(2) It's a drawing! (I love drawings. Way more than pretty much any other type of visual art.)

(3) It's a drawing of clothing (shoes, fabric and hair - used to be my favorite things to draw)

(4) Spare, hand-drawn type - it's a wonder I wasn't literally salivating.

(5) The style of the drawing and type reminded me instantly of the book Harriet the Spy.

(6) "Files" in the title immediately word-associated it with another children's classic: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.


It has a title - The Spellman Files ... and an author - Lisa Lutz.

Did the innards live up to those classics? Well, I read it in three days. That should tell you something. It certainly delivered on the wacky family and playful mystery promises, and it gave me more: a street-smart, funny, vulnerable and not-always-lovable female protagonist/narrator; her wacky family that runs a private investigation firm; a mix of hilarity and non-sappy poignant moments; and a non-traditional storytelling structure (see also: Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde). It's a perfect book for someone who is still missing her Veronica Mars.

In fact, the only two flaws for me were (1) too much similarity to a specific Veronica Mars plotline; and (2) the occasional car-tailing descriptions that are two sentences too long.

ETA:
(1) One more minus: too many fonts are used, and the header fonts are terrible (grungy 1990s style).

(2) One more plus: the body text font RULES. The beauty of it is usually enough to distract me from (1).

I've heard it's been optioned for a movie - not surprising at all. I hope the film version can live up to the book! I am reading the sequel now, just as addictive, but which depends a little too much on wacky structure, leaving me with a gimmicky aftertaste.

Here's a brief plot summary and interview with the author. The author's website gives too much away regarding the plot, so if you want to read the book, I wouldn't read the description there. I would, though, recommend reading this piece by that author: one of the TRUEST things I've read recently, Please Stop Talking, I Have to Use the Bathroom.


cover image courtesy: The Innernetz...and Simon & Schuster
no copyright infringement intended




No comments: