Friday, February 02, 2007

When Bravo says jump . . .




I didn't think I would be one to say "How high?" but apparently so. Although the cinematography feels old because of Project Runway and Top Chef, there is something going on with Top Design that is new. I was afraid that it would be another version of Trading Spaces, with designers emphasizing bright wall colors and clusters of black and white photographs, but it is trying to be more artsy, I think. Also the fact that they are using real furniture (borrowed from showrooms) means that they can use really nice pieces rather than fall into the trap of pieces that look nice for the reveal but you get the sense that they may fall apart. I also got the sense that Top Design will take more risks with the range of designs that they will show. Whereas the other home shows want designs that are livable for middle-america Top Design has no problem with the fact that the vast majority of people cannot afford what they are doing nor can they really appreciate it.

4 comments:

jblogs said...

(i'm finally on! with another account no less but oh well...it'll do the job)

so yes. i saw top design an was also quite impressed with the final winning group's design. i must stay in a weird way i was a smidge proud of the overachieving artsy-rimmed glasses thai(methinks) guy on the team.

zuppe said...

HA! I knew I better get the account drama in order for this week for my fellow 'seekers in Bravo's thrall.

Though I'm excited for more competitive reality Bravo-style, I have mostly negative feedback for the first ep. It seemed to be mostly drama, which doesn't bode well for the season. The designs in the season teaser montage, while I liked a lot of them, seemed like they were going to be all basically the same aesthetic. It was enough to make me want to see a little country goose somewhere. I don't know why they used the ToddBot for the show when his video blog isn't that bad.

I like Goil, Elizabeth, potential-closet-case-Matt, and maybe Andrea. But my hatred (yeah it's that strong) for Michael outweighs all so far. He mentions how he used to comment on the decor in 'Dynasty'... but if he is 23, he was all of 3 or 4 yrs old when that show ended. It was not re-run, I don't think. So I find it hard to believe he was bitching out Crystal Carrington's valances as a toddler.

starbright oogi said...

the episode really bored me-- too much about personalities-- esp. dislike michael. so irritating. todd oldham -- what happened ? he lost his personality and looks hyperbotoxed.

zuppe said...

The second week was better. But the range of design "completion" baffled me. Also? I *hate* themed rooms for children. Maybe it's because I'm so fickle, always was and always will be, and the idea of such a permanent and overwhelming theme scares me.