Monday, February 13, 2006

It's asymmetrical, but is it asymmetrical ENOUGH?!

Lately I have been tempted by jewelry, specifically the types found here. And so I went here to scope out some supplies, but I honestly cannot justify a purchase without using up at least a few of the jewelry junk I have already accumulated. So in the interests of making it OK-er to buy yet more things, I mucked about with some beads and stuff last night while weeping over the fact that Bailey's husband and baby are all well and good in the land of Grey's Anatomy. And she named him after George. Awwwwww.

I forgot I had these heishi shell beads and copper spacers from one of my blackout-bead-buying sessions at Beadworks in Cambridge. I tried to make a little funky asymmetrical necklace. I am not sure but it might be a little too long or too short -- sort of neither here nor there on the length.




Aging Cowgirl, you know I need you to certify my construction. Do you think this will hold up? I know it's not pretty AT ALL, so I may have to change it anyway. I used a bunch of mismatched materials that may not be mismatched ENOUGH, such as the "pewter" colored SoftFlex (are there different colors?) to string the beads, some "pewter" crimp beads, and some big ol' oogly nickel findings.


Here are the cute little copper spacers. I just couldn't separate them, they looked so cute together.


And then I made these sort of pendant thingies from rough cut citrine and aquamarine, which I bought years ago at this really cute and dangerously enticing bead shop on the Upper West Side in NYC (I think it's Bruce Frank Beads and Fine Art?) Anyway, I tried my hand yet again at the dastardly wire loops. I ran out of sterling ready-made findings because I ruined them by "practicing", so I made something out of the sterling wire for the aquamarine. And then I added the sterling-esque chain so I didn't just have an empty loop looking all sloppy. And also, I am enamored of the decorative dangling chain thing. So one day when I get more sterling findings, I can maybe make a little schmancy Lucky-worthy necklace or something.


....And that's all for yesterday. It's been a real frustrating time trying to get these pics to format the way I like them, so I gave up. Blogger, I'm not very happy with you right now.

4 comments:

starbright oogi said...

the george / bailey dynamic was heartwarming -- i still don't understand how everyone survived what with the bomb going off 10 ft down the hall....anyway.... now you're making me lem jewelry.

lilbunny and espressoboy said...

i don't know if i have the patience for jewelry... but i enjoy looking at all of your pretty creations! i too am enamored with the dangling chaing thing. bravo kid. bra-vo.

aging cowgirl said...

nice work, zuppe. I think it is fetchingly asymmetrical and I like the copper and blue together. The construction looks good, the only thing that might make it more comfortable to wear is to crimp closer to the last bead so that there is less exposed softflex. But don't crimp too close or it won't drape properly.
The pendants are also nice-- don't be so hard on yourself with the wireloops. what are you going to do with them? I'm feeling a lariat vibe. again, it's all about getting the good chain, right?

jblogs said...

i'm impressed. i wish i made jewelry. i just bought this great handmade necklace for myself and similar ones for my two childhood girlfriends over the holidays. i'll post a foto of it because it is simply to die for (at least in my opinion).

by the way, i haven't been able to view your fotos? perhaps it's because they are restricted from my job's computer terminal. heheheh.