Tuesday, March 28, 2006

seeking dinner party advice

So the spring weather, Top Chef, and the support of all of you has inspired me to host a little dinner party on Saturday. I've invited six people and am thinking of doing chinese dishes for the main course. I'm planning on a mapo tofu, glazed eggplant, and sesame string beans. I need some help with the dessert. Chocolate mousse is my standard but I am in the mood to bake a cake. Layer cakes always appeal to me but I should branch out. Any suggestions for good chocolate desserts? I feel like trying a molten chocolate cake but I don't have the individual ramekins. I am also seeking suggestions about an easy appetizer/something to munch on before dinner.

4 comments:

zuppe said...

I wonder if the Semi-Homemade lady would have suggestions for something like this:

Parfait (I'm so intrigued by this idea) with cake and Jell-O pudding. Molten enough for you?

And I'm not trying to dumb it down just because I'll be the sous chef.

starbright oogi said...

Could you try a flourless chocolate cake? Although for me, the icing is often the best part. Layer cakes are delicious... would you be able to do a chocolate mousse layer cake-- bringing in your specialities? Your menu sounds amazing-- wish I was there ;)

aging cowgirl said...

I like the idea of a chocolate mousse cake, hmmm--- I found a recipe for a flourless chocolate cake that looks good and i can make it tonight (ready for that, sous chef?). I am planning on serving it with whipped cream and, to mix it up a little bit, candied citrus peel. I've never made anything candied before, and have been curious about it.
It the cake is a disaster tonight, some type of pudding thing may be on the menu tomorrow.

zuppe said...

Just an update: the dessert turned out FABULOUSLY, and received some oohs and ahhhs from the dinner party attendants. :)

I think when I next have a chocolate cake craving, but no real chocolatey stuff around, I may just melt some cocoa powder into butter and sugar and thereby have my cake and slurp it too.