Saturday, March 25, 2006

Travel here, travel there

I need some intercontinental travel advice from the seekers of frill. How does one go about planning a vacation abroad? I realize now that I have never really done this before as I usually stayed with friends or went someplace with the parents. I find the planning rather daunting.

Is it best to stay in a chain hotel or risk it with some quaint, potentially cheaper local place?

Any favorites travel websites?

Also, if anyone has any advice on where in Europe would be nice in August, that would be appreciated too.

3 comments:

aging cowgirl said...

I agree that lonely planet can be a good source for cute places that aren't all about australians doing their gap year. km and I stayed at a quaint little place in Florence that I found in LP--- I had to mail a deposit to them before hand and was a little aprehensive about it, but it all worked out.

starbright oogi said...

thanks ladies! i would like to find an independent place, although it's hard to tell which are good. tripadvisor.com has been somewhat helpful, but i think i need to park in barnes & noble with a mocha latte and stack of guides.

km, the beehive is so adorable and vegetarian friendly too. if i were going to rome, i'd def. look into it :)

starbright oogi said...

how long do you think one needs in florence? would 5 -7 days be too much? it may be on the agenda, or possibly naples.